Orders, Decorations, Medals and Militaria to include a Fine Collection of Napoleonic Medals (25 March 2015)

Image 1

Click Image to Zoom

Date of Auction: 25th March 2015

Unsold

Estimate: £140 - £180

Pair: Bombardier G. E. Goodwin, 11 (Sphinx) Independent Light Anti-Aircraft Battery, Royal Artillery

Korea 1950-53, 1st issue (19004053 Bdr., R.A.) suspension a little slack; U.N. Korea 1950-54, unnamed, first pitted, about very fine (2) £140-180

Footnote

Ex Strong Collection, D.N.W. 18 May 2011.

George Eric Goodwin was born in Everton on 10 September 1927. He enlisted on 4 July 1946. With 11 (Sphinx) Ind. L.A.A. Bty., R.A. on 10 August 1950. With the battery in Korea, November 1950-November 1951 and then in Hong Kong, November 1951-July 1952. Promoted to Lance-Bombardier, March 1947; Bombardier, March 1948 and Sergeant, October 1949. With some copied service notes.  
 


The men of 11(Sphinx) Independent L.A.A. Bty R.A., including Bombardier G. E.Goodwin, arrived in Korea on 15 November 1950 and their guns arrived on 4 December. The Battery consisted of three troops each of sixteen 40mm. Bofors guns capable of firing 120 rounds per minute. The role of the Battery was to defend vulnerable points from enemy aircraft. In fact, the Allies soon achieved total air superiority over the Communist airforce and 11 (Sphinx) Battery air defence role became superfluous. The guns were therefore used in the ‘Direct Fire’ role where their speed of fire and accuracy were very useful. The first action was in February 1951 when they supported the Royal Ulster Rifles, where they fired over 1000 rounds and were complimented by the Brigade Commander for their ‘Very good shooting.’ For the Battle of the River Imjin, ‘A’ Troop were deployed with 45 Field Regiment in support of the Glosters and also found themselves infiltrated by advancing Chinese infantry. At 0300hrs on the night of 24 /25 April the Chinese reached the barbed wire 50 yards in front of the guns and direct fire was used to destroy them. After suffering from mortar fire, Sphinx Battery withdrew together with the guns of 45 Field Regiment. Subsequently the Battery took part in the parade when the Army Commander presented ‘C’ Troop 170 Battery with the Presidential Citation. On 18 June 1951 the Battery was turned into 3 troops of 4.2 mortars and became 170 Mortar Battery, one troop remained with 16 Bofors and were used to protect bridgeheads.