Orders, Decorations, Medals and Militaria (22 July 2015)

Image 1

  • Image 2
  • Image 3
  • Image 4

Click Image to Zoom

Date of Auction: 22nd July 2015

Sold for £2,200

Estimate: £1,800 - £2,200

Family group:

The inter-war C.M.G., O.B.E. group of three awarded to H. M. G. Jackson, Chief Native Commissioner for Southern Rhodesia, late Lieutenant, Gifford’s Horse
The Most Distinguished Order of St. Michael and St. George, C.M.G., Companion’s neck badge, silver-gilt and enamel; The Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, O.B.E. (Civil) Officer’s 1st type breast badge, silver-gilt, hallmarks for London 1919; British South Africa Company’s Medal 1890-97, reverse Rhodesia 1896, no clasp (Lieut. H. M. G. Jackson, Gifford’s Horse) enamel slightly chipped on motto on first, otherwise generally good very fine

The Great War campaign service pair awarded to Private H. G. Jackson, Rhodesian Regiment, attached 1st South African Infantry Brigade, who was taken P.O.W. in March 1918
British War and Victory Medals, bi-lingual issue (Pte. H. G. Jackson, Rhodns. 1st S.A.I. Bgde.) extremely fine

The post-war M.B.E. awarded to Miss Natalie Jackson, Southern Rhodesia Civil Service
The Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, M.B.E. (Civil), Member’s 2nd type breast badge, on Lady’s riband bow in its Royal Mint case of issue, extremely fine (6) £1800-2200


Ex A. A. Upfill-Brown collection, D.N.W. 4 December 1991 (Lot 208).

C.M.G. London Gazette 3 June 1930.

O.B.E. London Gazette 3 June 1924.

Hugh Marrison Gower Jackson was born in Natal in September 1870, the son of John Otter Jackson, a J.P. and Regional Magistrate, and was educated at Ardingly College, Sussex. Returning to South Africa, he joined the Natal Native Department, becoming conversant with the language and cultural customs of the Zulu nation and earning himself the nickname “Matshayisikoba” - The Owl Slayer. In 1895, at the invitation of the newly appointed Chief Native Commissioner in Rhodesia, Jackson became Assistant Native Commissioner at Umzingwane in Matabeleland, making his way to Bulawayo via Port Shepstone and Pretoria in the famous “Zeederburg Coach”.

Soon after his arrival in Matabeleland, he was warned by a former warrior, Sikwaba, a survivor of the Imbizo Regiment, which body had been corporately sentenced to death for disobedience by King Lobengula, that he had had a vision in which the latter unleashed ‘supernatural forces’ on the European settlers - a vision that found credence by way of the rebellion that erupted a few months later. Jackson and a small party were cut off deep in the Matabele stronghold, the Matopos Hills, when the rebellion broke out, and, in the absence of any news, it was reported that he had been killed - luckily, as it transpired, he made good his escape and reached Bulawayo.

Quickly enlisting in Gifford’s Horse, he was appointed a Lieutenant in “B” Troop, commanded by Captain H. P. Flynn, a fellow Native Commissioner, and boasting among its number a future Prime Minister of Southern Rhodesia, Howard Moffat. The unit had been raised by the Rt. Hon. Captain (afterwards Lieutenant-Colonel) Maurice Gifford, who was severely wounded in the action at Fonseca’s Farm on 6 April 1896, wounds that resulted in the amputation of his right arm. Nonetheless, Gifford’s Horse continued to lend valuable service with regular patrol work until a peace settlement was negotiated by Cecil Rhodes that August.

Having in 1900 been appointed a J.P., Jackson enjoyed a spate of appointments over the coming years, among them Assistant Magistrate for the Bulawayo District, as Superintendent of Gwelo, Selukwe, Insiza and Belingwe, and, in 1908, as a Native Commissioner and Additional Magistrate at Gwelo. Then in 1913, he became Native Commissioner and Superintendent of Natives for Bulawayo District, while in 1921 he was appointed Acting Chief Native Commissioner in Salisbury.

Awarded the O.B.E. in 1924, in which year he was advanced to Assistant Chief Native Commissioner, Jackson was given the portfolio of Chief Native Commissioner and Head of the Southern Rhodesia Native Department in 1928, on the retirement of Sir Herbert Taylor. And in 1930, the year of his own retirement, he also served as Chairman of the Native Affairs Committee and as Government Representative on the Board of the Native Labour Bureau. He was appointed C.M.G.

Jackson, who retained the ‘keenest interest in all matters affecting natives and native welfare’, and who was blessed with a ‘fantastic sense of humour’, died at his residence in Borrowdale in November 1934; sold with a large file of related research and several evocative (copy) photographs from his time as a young officer in Gifford’s Horse, so, too, with a long list of archive references to articles he published in his lifetime.

Hugh Gower Jackson was born in August 1898, soon after his father had returned to his duties as a Native Commissioner following service in Gifford’s Horse. Educated at Lancing College in Sussex, young Hugh returned home and enlisted in the Southern Rhodesia Volunteers in June 1916, aged 17 years. Standing a little under six feet, he was posted to the 2nd Battalion, Rhodesia Regiment, and attached to the 1st South African Infantry Brigade in France, where he was taken P.O.W. in March 1918. According to one family source, he was very badly treated during captivity, as a result of which his health suffered terribly, and he died in July 1944; sold with further details.

Natalie Kate Jackson was born in February 1900, about the time her father was appointed a J.P., and, having obtained a degree at Cape Town University, joined the Southern Rhodesia Civil Service in 1923. And she remained employed in a similar capacity until her retirement in 1955, the year in which she was awarded her M.B.E., and by which stage she had risen to the office of Women Inspector and Senior Women Officer on the Public Services Board. She died in December 1992; sold with portrait photographs and a file of related research.