Orders, Decorations and Medals Including five Special Collections (28 March 2002)

Sorry, there are no images available for this lot

Date of Auction: 28th March 2002

Sold for £4,200

Estimate: £4,000 - £5,000

The Young family group comprising the M.G.S. and Army of India pair to Lieutenant George Young, 50th Foot, and the Punniar Star and Sutlej medal to Lieutenant Charles Young, 50th Foot, mortally wounded to the battle of Moodkee

Military General Service 1793-1814, 3 clasps, Fuentes D’Onor, Badajoz, Salamanca (G. Young, Lieut. 38th Foot); Army of India 1799-1826, 1 clasp, Ava (Lieut. G. Young, 38th Foot) short hyphen reverse, officially impressed naming

Punniar Star 1843 (Ensign C. E. Young, 50th Queen’s Own Regt.) with original hook suspension; Sutlej 1845-46, reverse Moodkee 1845 (Lieut. C. E. Young, 50th Regt.) the four medals contained in a contemporary fitted leather case, a small recess beneath the Punniar Star containing the musket ball that caused Lieutenant Young’s mortal wound, some light edge bruising and contact marks, otherwise generally good very fine and better (4) £4000-5000


George Young was born about 1790 at Old Town, Queen’s County, and was first commissioned into the 38th Foot as an Ensign on 1 November 1810. He proceeded to the Peninsula in January 1811 to join his regiment already serving under the Duke of Wellington. He was present at the battle of Fuentes D’Onor; the siege and capture of Badajoz; the battle of Salamanca; the attack on the fort at the taking of Madrid; the siege of Burgos; twice engaged during the retreat from Burgos, where he was slightly wounded; and in the operations at Bayonne.

Young was present with the 38th as part of the Army of Occupation in France, from immediately after the decisive battle of Waterloo until December 1815. He went with the regiment to the Cape of Good Hope in February 1819 and proceeded from there to India in March 1822. Moving to Burma, Young took part in the operations against the King of Ava in 1824-26, and, now a Captain, returned to England in June 1830. He was promoted to Major on 27 April 1834, and retired by sale of his commission on 12 June 1840.

Charles Edward Young was born at Southampton on 2 February 1825, second son of Captain George Young above. He was commissioned into the 50th Regiment as an Ensign on 17 September 1841, and landed at Calcutta in December 1842. He was detached to the Upper Privinces the following month, and eventually joined his regiment at Cawnpore in March 1843. In the following November he accompanied the regiment on service with the left wing of the Army of Gwalior, and was present with it at the battle of Punniar on the 29th December.

Promoted to Lieutenant on 6 October 1844, Young was stationed at Loodiana on the outbreak of the Sikh war in December 1845. The regiment immediately marched to Bassain, to join the Army of the Sutlej under the command of Sir Hugh Gough, and on the 18th of the same month he was present with it at the battle of Moodkee. In this, the first action of the campaign, he was severely wounded and died of his wounds two days later.