Orders, Decorations, Medals and Militaria (8 & 9 May 2019)

Image 1

Click Image to Zoom

Date of Auction: 8th & 9th May 2019

Sold for £1,500

Estimate: £1,000 - £1,200

A Great War C.B. group of seven awarded to Major-General Sir E. A. Walker, Indian Medical Service, a prisoner of war after the siege of Kut-al-Amara, he was later Director of Medical Services in India and made a K.C.I.E. in 1938

The Most Honourable Order of the Bath, C.B. (Military) Companion’s neck badge, silver-gilt and enamels, complete with neck cravat in its Garrard & Co. Ltd case of issue; The Order of St. John of Jerusalem, Officer‘s breast badge, silver and enamel, in case of issue; 1914-15 Star (Maj. E. A. Walker, I.M.S.); British War and Victory Medals, with M.I.D. oak leaves (Maj. E. A. Walker); Jubilee 1935; Coronation 1937, the last five mounted as worn, together with I.M.S. collar badge, good very fine (8) £1,000-£1,200


Ernest Alexander Walker was born on 20 October 1880, son of Rev. A. Walker, Senior Chaplain Church of Scotland. He was educated at Forfar Academy and the University of Edinburgh; M.B. Ch.B Ed. 1901. Lieutenant, Indian Medical Service, 26 July 1902; Captain, 26 July 1905; F.R.C.S. Ed. 1912; Major 26 January 1914; Lieutenant-Colonel, 26 January 1922; Brevet Colonel, 1 July 1928; Colonel, 2 September 1929.

During the Great War he served mainly in Mesopotamia, was taken prisoner in the disastrous defeat at Kut-al-Amara, and survived two and a half years in a Turkish prison camp. He was twice mentioned in despatches (London Gazette 23 October 1919 and 30 January 1920). Upon his release, he became Deputy Assistant Director of the Army Medical Service. Rejoining the Indian Medical Service, he was named Deputy Director, Director (1929-32), and Deputy Director of the Medical Service in the Eastern Command of India (1932-33). He was finally Director of Medical Services in India (1933-37). Meanwhile he was appointed Honorary Surgeon to the Viceroy in 1930 and was Honorary Surgeon to the King from 1932-37. He was an Officer of the Order of St John, was made a C.B. in 1934, retired in 1937, and was knighted as K.C.I.E. in 1938.

In April 1938, he migrated to Vancouver Island B.C. with his wife Juanita Mary Power, who was born in Melbourne, Australia, daughter of Brigade-Surgeon Richard Power of the I.M.S. He settled in the Cowichan Valley on the north end of Quamichan Lake and died there suddenly on 5 September 1944, aged sixty-three.