Coins, Tokens and Historical Medals (5 & 6 June 2019)

Image 1

Click Image to Zoom

Date of Auction: 5th & 6th June 2019

Sold for £120

Estimate: £50 - £70

Gardens, CHELSEA, Cremorne House and Gardens, uniface zinc, cremorne house, 2215 stamped in centre, scalloped edge, 36mm, 8.21g (W 1308; D & W 67/168; cf. DNW 147, 1697); MARYLEBONE, Marylebone Gardens, 1766, uniface brass, marybone admit two and date within border of palm leaves, French horns above and book below, engraved (No. 174), 36 x 30mm, 9.78g (W 1327; D & W 78/235 cf. DNW 147, 1708) [2]. First very fine, second excavated, integral suspension loop fractured £50-£70

Footnote

Provenance: First bt September 2017.

Cremorne House, to the west of Battersea Bridge, was sold by the Huntingdon family in 1831 to a convicted fraudster popularly known as the Baron de Beranger. Beranger added pleasure gardens to the property but was declared bankrupt and the house and gardens were acquired by James Ellis in January 1845. Between then and the late 1870s the gardens were much frequented, but in 1877 local residents objected to the renewal of its licence and it was forced to close. Marylebone Gardens occupied the site of what is now bounded by Beaumont and Devonshire streets, Upper Wimpole and Upper Harley streets. Opened in the late 17th century, they enjoyed a zenith of popularity in the 1730s and 1740s and subsequently were enlarged to some 8 acres in 1753, but by the mid-1760s decline set in and the gardens ceased to open regularly in 1776