British Tokens, Tickets and Passes (27 August 2020)
Date of Auction: 27th August 2020
Sold for £150
Estimate: £100 - £150
FootnoteProvenance: Bt S.H. Monks October 2014.
The Union Club, founded in 1799 ‘when the Union of the Parliament of England and Ireland was in agitation’ met at Cumberland House, Pall Mall, the former residence of the Duke of Cumberland. Early members were the Dukes of Bedford and Norfolk, Charles Fox, Sir Francis Burdett and the theatrical impresario Richard Sheridan. In subsequent years the Club was based in St James’s square, Regent street, Cockspur street and finally at 10-11 Carlton House terrace. It closed in 1964 and its membership admitted to the United Services Club