Jewellery, Watches and Objects of Vertu (23 November 2021)
Date of Auction: 23rd November 2021
Sold for £3,000
Estimate: £3,000 - £4,000
Formerly the property of Edith Vane-Tempest-Stewart, Marchioness of Londonderry, thence by family descent.
Edith Londonderry, (neé Edith Helen Chaplin) (1878-1959) was the granddaughter of the Duke of Sutherland. In 1899 she married Charles Steward Henry, eldest son of the 6th Marquess of Londonderry. Sixteen year later in 1915, Charles succeeded to the title of 7th Marquess, with Edith becoming the Marchioness of Londonderry and the couple inherited Mount Stewart.
Prior to the war, Edith was an active member of the Suffragette movement, and served on a number of women’s associations. In 1914 she joined the Women’s Volunteer Reserve (WVR) as Colonel-in-chief and in July 1915 she formed the Women’s Legion which became the largest voluntary organisation during the war. She was the first woman to be appointed DBE (Military Division).
Lord and Lady Londonderry spent much of their time involved in political affairs. In the period between the two World Wars Edith become one of London’s great social and political hostesses.
Wearing the fabulous Londonderry Jewels, many of which are now on loan to the Jewellery Collection of the Victoria and Albert Museum, she presided over the fabulous Eve of Parliament Receptions held at Londonderry House in Park Lane, before its sale and demolition shortly after her death at the age of 80 in 1959.