The Collection of British and Irish Banknotes formed by the Late Edward Barnby

Date of Auction: 13th April 2010

Sold for £95

Estimate: £40 - £60

British Provincial, Cambridgeshire, Wisbech, Wisbech & Lincolnshire Bank, Five Pounds, 3 September 1889, W 8369, for Gurney, Birkbeck, Peckovers & Buxton, signed by Algernon Peckover (Outing 2382Q; Grant 3252). Signature cut-cancelled, a few numbers on front, stamps and endorsements on back and a few pinholes, otherwise very fine £40-60

Footnote

The Wisbech & Lincolnshire Bank was established by the Quaker grocer Jonathan Peckover (1755-1833), who settled in Wisbech in 1777 and entered into partnership with the Gurneys, another Quaker family from Norwich, in 1782. From 1794 the bank was located at Bank (now Peckover) House, but moved to 12 Old Market in 1878. The signatory, Algernon Peckover, died in 1893 and the bank was taken over by Barclays in 1896