Medals from the Collection of R.W. Gould, MBE

Sorry, there are no images available for this lot

Date of Auction: 20th September 2002

Sold for £420

Estimate: £400 - £500

A B.E.M. group of six awarded to Police Constable Wilfrid Wilkins, Metropolitan Police, for courage in arresting armed criminals, later a temporary Lieutenant-Colonel in the Army and Chief of Police and Fire Services for St Vincent in the West Indies

British Empire Medal (Civil) G.V.R. (Wilfred I. R. Wilkins); 1939-45 Star; France and Germany Star; Italy Star; Defence & War Medals, together with companion set of miniature medals, good very fine (12) £400-500


B.E.M. (Meritorious Service) London Gazette 4 June 1934: ‘For courage and determination in arresting armed criminals.’

The following report was published in The Police Review and Parade Gossip: ‘British Empire Medal, for Meritorious Service:- P.C.’s Alfred Robert Henry Miller and Wilfrid Ivor Randolph Wilkins (Metro.), in recognition of their courage, determination and skill in arresting two dangerous gangs of motor bandits in South London within two nights of each other. In the early morning of 16th May, while chasing three men in a stolen car at high speed, P.C. Miller sprang from the Police vehicle on to the running board and smashed the windows with his truncheon. The bandits’ car swerved suddenly, forcing the Constable back on to his own vehicle. After a further chase the car stopped and the men ran away, but were all caught. A powerful jemmy was found in their car. Two nights later the same two officers chased two men in a stolen car from Denmark Hill, S.E. The men ultimately abandoned the car while it was moving, leaving it to crash into a fence. They were eventually caught and were found in possession of housebreaking implements and a life preserver. In July 1933, the P.C.’s were presented with £10 from the Bow Street Reward Fund.’

Wilfrid Ivor Randolph Wilkins was born at Chalford, Gloucestershire, on 29 September 1907, and was a Railway Porter before joining the Metropolitan Police on 26 September 1927. He joined the Army as a Captain, General List, on 30 May 1943, and served in North Africa, Sicily, Italy, Normandy, Holland and Germany, being a Temporary Lieutenant-Colonel when demobilised on 19 August 1946. He rejoined the Metropolitan Police on this date but was immediately seconded to the Control Commission in Germany. He resigned on pension in April 1848, and was subsequently Chief of Police and Fire Services for the island of St Vincent, West Indies, until 1950. Thereafter he served with the Commonwealth Investigation Service in Australia, 1950-54, and as Civil Defence Officer for Hertfordshire and R.S. Organizer for Gloucestershire, 1955-69. Sometime after 1948 he changed his surname to Randolph. Sold with full research including a copied group photograph.