Medals from the Collection of R.W. Gould, MBE

Sorry, there are no images available for this lot

Date of Auction: 20th September 2002

Sold for £950

Estimate: £450 - £550

A Gallantry reverse K.P.M. group of three awarded to Detective Constable Leslie Robinson, Hull City Police, who was originally recommended for the George Cross for bravely attempting to restrain a violent seaman armed with a knife

King’s Police Medal, G.VI.R., 1st issue, ‘For Gallantry’ reverse (Leslie W. Robinson, Det. Constable, Kingston-upon-Hull City Police 16/2/45); Defence Medal; Police Exemplary Service Medal, G.VI.R., 2nd issue (Const.) good very fine (3) £450-550


K.P.M. (For Gallantry) London Gazette

The recommendation, originally for the George Cross, states: ‘About 9.10 p.m. on the 24th February, 1944, Detective Constable Robinson was on duty in plain clothes and interviewing two women in a Hull hotel. During this interview a disturbance took place in the lounge of the Hotel, and as a result of this disturbance Carlos Manuel Acosta, a well built and extremely strong man aged 27, a seaman and a native of Porta Rico, was ejected from the Hotel. A moment or two later Acosta returned to the lounge and in his right hand he carried a vicious looking clasp knife, the blade of which was covered in blood. He had apparently attacked someone outside the Hotel.

On re-entering the lounge, Acosta slashed at two men with the knife and immediately the place was in an uproar. After Acosta had slashed a seaman and cut him on the forehead, right arm and chest, Robinson without hesitation, and with complete disregard for his own safety, closed with Acosta. Robinson struggled with Acosta for some time in an effort to obtain possession of the knife but unfortunately someone held him from behind and he had to let Acosta go. Acosta took advantage of this and attacked Robinson with the blood stained knife and slashed his face three times inflicting severe wounds and also badly cut his mackintosh and jacket..

During the disturbance the landlord of the Hotel had telephoned the Central Police Station and it was not until a number of Constables arrived that it was possible to overcome Acosta and take him into custody. Robinson’s wounds bled freely and he had to be taken to the Royal Infirmary where 15 stitches were inserted in his facial wounds. As a result of his wounds Robinson was on the sick list 41 days and he is scarred for life. There is no doubt that during the struggle Robinson’s life was in immediate danger and if the wound on the chin had been an inch or two lower it might have had fatal consequences.’

Sold with extensive copied details, including Robinson’s account of the incident, as well as those of other witnesses, photographs of his wounds, and correspondence regarding the proposed award of the George Cross.