Medals to the R.F.C. and R.A.F. from the Collection Formed by the Late Squadron Leader David Haller

Image 1

  • Image 2
  • Image 3
  • Image 4

Click Image to Zoom

Date of Auction: 25th March 2014

Sold for £1,000

Estimate: £600 - £800

Family group:

Three: 2nd Lieutenant C. C. Hann, Royal Flying Corps, who was killed in a combat on 22 October 1916 - the sixth victim of the German ace, Hans Berr - while serving as an Observer in No. 3 Squadron
1914-15 Star (1386 Cpl. C. C. Hann, R.F.C.); British War and Victory Medals (2. Lieut. C. C. Hann), together with the recipient’s Memorial Plaque (Cecil Collins Hann), extremely fine

Three: Probationary Flight Sub. Lieutenant A. P. Hann, Royal Naval Air Service
1914-15 Star (P. Flt. S. Lt. A. P. Hann, R.N.A.S.); British War and Victory Medals (P. Flt. S. Lt. A. P. Hann, R.N.A.S.), extremely fine (7) £600-800


Cecil Collins Hann was born at Beaminster, Dorset, in 1891, the son of Albert and Edith Hann, and enlisted in the Royal Flying Corps soon after the outbreak of hostilities in August 1914, and saw active service out in France as a Corporal in the following year.

Commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in February 1916, on qualifying as an Observer, he was posted to No. 1 Squadron, and thence to No. 3 Squadron, in which latter unit he flew Morane Parasols on the Somme front and completed over 20 artillery spotting patrols prior to his death in action on 22 October 1916. On that date, with 2nd Lieutenant F. W. G. Marchant as his pilot, their Morane was shot down by the German ace Hans Berr, his sixth victory out of a total of ten. Subsequently reported as ‘died of wounds’, Hann and Marchant are buried alongside each other in the Heilly Station Cemetery, Mericourt-L’Abbes, Somme, France; sold with a file of research.

Albert Percy Hann, the younger son of Albert and Edith Hann, was appointed a Probationary Flight Sub. Lieutenant in the Royal Naval Air Service in October 1915 and, according to his service record, lent ‘good service’ in a motor boat section in the period December 1915 to March 1916. Next posted to R.N.A.S. Wormwood Scrubbs, he completed a balloon course, his record noting over 30 hours flying time, in addition to a 15 minute ride in an airship. However, in early 1917, his health declined and, following a medical survey, he was found to be suffering from Neurasthenia - nervous debilty - as a result of which he was invalided from the service; sold with copied service record.