Medals relating to the Malaya and Korea Campaigns from the Philip Burman Collection

Date of Auction: 9th May 2018

Sold for £2,400

Estimate: £1,800 - £2,200

A Korea M.M. awarded to Corporal C. A. Taylor, Royal Leicesters attached from the Lincolnshire Regiment, for gallantry in rescuing wounded members of a stranded fighting patrol - whilst under fire, in broad daylight and in full view of the enemy, 26 May 1952

Military Medal, G.VI.R, 2nd issue (19036308 A/Cpl. C. A. Taylor. R. Leicesters.) unit partially officially corrected, edge bruising nearly very fine £1800-2200


M.M. London Gazette 4 July 1952, the recommendation states:

‘On the night 25/26 May 52 a fighting patrol of the 1st Battalion, The Royal Leicestershire Regiment met serious trouble on their objective, a known enemy held position on a spur well in front of our own forward company position. Owing to the intensity of the enemy fire and grenades, and the number of casualties caused to our patrol, evacuation of all proved impossible, and the officer in charge of the patrol, gravely wounded, and an NCO, seriously wounded, could not be got away; nor could another patrol sent out in the early hours of the morning of 26 May, locate them. However, shortly after first light the NCO, despite his wounds managed to make his own way back down the spur and across an open valley to within such a distance that shouts from him could be heard by our company forward outposts.

The Company Commander immediately organised a patrol to go out and locate the wounded NCO, and bring him in; this the patrol did, in full view of the enemy. Cpl. Taylor was an immediate and insistent volunteer for this patrol.

The wounded NCO was able to inform our patrol of the whereabouts of the wounded officer, some 1,000 yards further forward, just below the objective of the previous night. Our patrol then promptly set out to the rescue, though it was broad daylight, and in full view of the enemy.

On arrival, Cpl. Taylor was ordered to cover the party whilst immediate attention was given to the wounded officer and his evacuation organised. In order to do so he proceeded alone and on his own initiative to the actual crest of the enemy position, and remained there alone for some minutes until engaged by the enemy with grenades. Returning with reinforcements, he again went up the hill, but was unable to reach the enemy owing to MG fire.

Cpl. Taylor and his men did not finally withdraw until the main party with the wounded officer was well on its way back, thus having covered the rescue and withdrawal from that immediate position with signal success.

Cpl. Taylor’s contempt for the enemy, initiative and complete disregard of danger were an inspiration to all. His conduct on this occasion, however, came as no surprise, since throughout his service in Korea he has always been a persistent volunteer for patrols or any other dangerous duties, and his courage, coolness and leadership have been of the highest value, and set a fine example.’

Charles Alexander Taylor was born in Grimsby, Lincolnshire, in August 1929. He enlisted in the Lincolnshire Regiment in November 1946, and served with the 2nd Battalion in Palestine (entitled to G.S.M. with ‘Palestine 1945-48’ clasp). He was attached to the 1st Battalion, Royal Leicesters for service in Korea. Taylor served with the Battalion in Korea, 4 September 1951 - 29 July 1952.

Taylor was awarded the M.M. for his gallantry on 25/26 May 1952, with The Royal Leicestershire Regiment 17th Foot A History of the Years 1928-1956, edited by Brigadier W. E. Underhill, adding the following:

‘During the month of May some twenty reconnaissance, ambush and fighting patrols were carried out. On the night of 25th to 26th May a fighting patrol of thirteen men was sent out at 2200 hours under command of 2/Lieut. B. J. Wright, with the object of capturing a prisoner from the Chinese positions a thousand yards across the valley. The patrol ran into serious trouble and was forced to withdraw with three men wounded and Wright and two men missing. Two further patrols sent out during the night failed to locate the missing men. However, one of them, although seriously wounded, managed to get back to the northern outpost of ‘C’ Company at first light. He reported the whereabouts of Lieut. Wright, who was badly wounded and unable to move. ‘C’ Company swiftly organised a patrol under the command of Lieut. M. H. Brewer, which went out across the valley in full view of the enemy and brought in Lieut. Wright. Brewer received an immediate award of the Military Cross and Cpl. Taylor the Military Medals for their parts in this action.’

Taylor was discharged 13 November 1958, and died at 70 Pershore Avenue, Grimsby, in February 1993.

1 of 4 M.M.’s awarded to the Regiment for Korea.

Sold with copied service papers, and a copy of M.M. recommendation.