Medals from the Rob Campbell Collection relating to Clevedon, Somerset

Image 1

  • Image 2

Click Image to Zoom

Date of Auction: 5th December 2018

Sold for £480

Estimate: £280 - £320

A Great War M.B.E. pair awarded to Major A. B. Trestrail, Commandant of the Auxiliary Hospital at Clevedon, Somerset from 9 November 1914, late 1st Gloucestershire Royal Garrison Artillery Volunteers (Clevedon Company)

The Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, M.B.E. (Civil) Member’s 1st type, breast badge, silver, hallmark’s for London 1917; Volunteer Officers’ Decoration, E.VII.R., silver, hallmarks for London 1904, and silver-gilt, reverse engraved ‘Major A. B. Trestrail 1st Glos: Roy: Garr: Arty. (Vol) 1905’, with integral top riband bar, mounted for wear, generally good very fine (2) £280-£320

Footnote

M.B.E. London Gazette 8 January 1919.

V.D. London Gazette 12 September 1905.

Alfred Bond Trestrail was born at the ‘Willows’, Mitcham Common, Surrey in February 1849. He was the second son of the Reverend Frederick Trestrail, and was educated at Mill Hill and Amersham Hall Schools. Trestrail later attended the Royal College of Chemistry and the Royal School of Mines.

Trestrail resided at ‘Southdale’, Albert Road, Clevedon, and was commissioned Lieutenant in the 1st Gloucestershire Royal Garrison Artillery Volunteers (Clevedon Company), in March 1885. He advanced to Captain and took over command of No. 9 Battery in November 1891.

Trestrail retired as Honorary Major in September 1905. He ‘took a prominent interest in municipal affairs. For over 20 years he was a member of the Urban District Council. He was made a JP in 1896, and sat regularly on the local Bench (frequently as presiding magistrate) until his illness. He was prominently identified with many local charitable and philanthropic institutions, notably the Clevedon, Kenn, Tickehham and Walton Dispensary, of which he had been Hon. Secretary and Treasurer for many years.... He also took a great interest in sport. He was a member of the Somerset County Football Association and served on the board of Appeal. He was a vice president of the local football and cricket clubs, a founder of the original golf club, a founder and vice president of the bowling club, and trustee of the Herbert Gardens. A keen Volunteer, he succeeded the late Sir Edmund H. Elton, Bart., as Captain of the Clevedon Company, Royal Gloucestershire Artillery Volunteers, and put in over 20 years service... During the Great War, he commanded the local Red Cross Hospital, and was awarded the MBE for his services.’ (Obituary taken from the Bristol Times & Mirror refers).

Major Trestrail died in April 1925, and is buried in Clevedon Cemetery.

Sold with extensive copied research, including photographic images of recipient in uniform.

For the medals awarded to the recipient’s son, Lieutenant-Colonel A. E. Y. Trestrail, see Lot 670.