A Collection of Medals to the 23rd Foot Royal Welsh Fusiliers

Date of Auction: 27th February 2019

Sold for £1,600

Estimate: £600 - £800

A Great War ‘Western Front’ M.C. pair awarded to Captain J. S. M. Shingler, 4th (Denbighshire) Battalion, Royal Welsh Fusiliers, who died of wounds in France in September 1918

Military Cross, G.V.R., in case of issue; 1914-15 Star (2. Lieut. J. S. M. Shingler. R.W. Fus.) together with Bronze Memorial Plaque (John Stanley Marsh Shingler) good very fine (3) £600-£800


M.C. London Gazette 25 August 1917:

‘For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty at a critical moment when hostile shell fire was constantly concentrated upon his platoon, who were at work in a trench. He steadied and collected his men, going up and down the trench for the purpose, and showing utter disregard of his own safety whilst doing so. He then led them from the shelled area, afterwards taking them back to their work and completing it with success before daylight. Throughout the operations he has displayed coolness and untiring energy when employed on similar work.’

Sold with original illuminated memorial scroll; original commission as Second Lieutenant, dated 10 November 1914; a post card photograph of seven officers of “A” Company, 1/4th R.W.F., in July 1918; a 9 carat gold regimental tie-pin; War Office enclosure letter forwarding medals to his mother; photograph of his original grave marker; an unnamed British War Medal and a renamed Victory Medal (Capt. J. S. M. Shingler).

John Stanley Marsh Shingler was born at Collins Street, Melbourne, Australia, the son of Sarah Elizabeth Shingler, of Scotland Street, Ellesmere, Shropshire, and the late John Hilton Shingler. He was educated at Ellesmere College, and served as a Cadet with the College Contingent Junior Division, O.T.C. He was commissioned, from a cadet of the Ellesmere College Contingent, as Second Lieutenant into the 4th )Denbighshire) Battalion, Royal Welsh Fusiliers, on 10 November 1914, and joined his battalion in France on 6 March 1915. Converted to a Pioneer battalion in September 1915 in the 47th London Division, he was promoted temporary Lieutenant, 2 March 1916, and Lieutenant, 1 June 1916. He was gazetted acting Captain, 20 July 1916, and while working on the trenching and tramway along the Messines-Wytschaete Ridge, he was awarded the M.C. for an action on 11/12th June, 1917, at Bluff Tunnels. He commanded “D” Company, but lost his company in the battalion re-organisation, 27 January 1918, when his company was split into three platoons and transferred, one to each of the other companies in the battalion. Later he commanded “A” Company with the rank of acting Captain, was wounded in mopping up operations at St Pierre Vaast Wood on 2 September, and died of wounds on 4 September 1918, aged 25. He is buried in Dernancourt Communal Cemetery Extension, France.