Tickets and Passes of London from the David Young Collection
Date of Auction: 5th June 2019
Sold for £110
Estimate: £50 - £70
FootnoteProvenance: Bt Baldwin April 1992.
Ranelagh House was built about 1690 on the east side of Chelsea Hospital for Richard, Viscount Ranelagh. In 1733 the house was taken over by the management of the Drury Lane Theatre, and the house and gardens opened to the public on 5 April 1742, at a basic admission of a shilling. Concerts, masquerades, dancing and miscellaneous theatrical events were held there over the next 60 years. The house was demolished in 1805