Tickets and Passes of London from the David Young Collection

Image 1

Click Image to Zoom

Date of Auction: 27th August 2020

Sold for £140

Estimate: £90 - £120

Gardens, CHELSEA, Ranelagh House and Gardens, an engraved admission card for a Masquerade, 14 June 1776, unsigned [by F. Bartolozzi after G.B. Cipriani], naked female standing cherubs holding masks at base, 153 x 105mm (Young, Gardens, p.48, this item). Very fine; mounted in a gilt frame by Crescent Galleries, Bridgwater [frame 275 x 220mm], with cord for suspension £90-£120

Footnote

Provenance: Bt March 1999.

Ranelagh House was built about 1690 on the east side of Chelsea Hospital for Richard, Viscount Ranelagh. In 1733 the house was taken over by the management of the Drury Lane Theatre, and the house and gardens opened to the public on 5 April 1742, at a basic admission of a shilling. Concerts, masquerades, dancing and miscellaneous theatrical events were held there over the next 60 years. The house was demolished in 1805