Tickets and Passes of London from the David Young Collection

Image 1

Click Image to Zoom

Date of Auction: 27th August 2020

Sold for £150

Estimate: £100 - £150

Clubs and Societies, ST JAMES’S, Union Club, 1799, copper, clasped hands, union club above, date below, rev. heart, 34mm, 11.96g (W 1773; D & W 194/740). Good very fine, very rare £100-£150

Footnote

Provenance: Bt S.H. Monks October 2014.

The Union Club, founded in 1799 ‘when the Union of the Parliament of England and Ireland was in agitation’ met at Cumberland House, Pall Mall, the former residence of the Duke of Cumberland. Early members were the Dukes of Bedford and Norfolk, Charles Fox, Sir Francis Burdett and the theatrical impresario Richard Sheridan. In subsequent years the Club was based in St James’s square, Regent street, Cockspur street and finally at 10-11 Carlton House terrace. It closed in 1964 and its membership admitted to the United Services Club