The Private Collection of a Gentleman
Date of Auction: 18th June 2019
Sold for £4,600
Estimate: £2,000 - £3,000
FootnoteRobert Phillips was one of two brothers who formed the firm Phillips Brothers of Cockspur Street in London, who with his brother Magnus started their business at No. 31 Cockspur Street in 1839, moving to No. 23 in 1862, the company name changing to Phillips Brothers & Son around 1865. He entered his mark ‘RP’ at Goldsmiths’ Hall in 1851, although this was later superseded by a mark incorporating the Prince of Wales feathers, reflecting their patronage by the Prince.
Although part of a partnership, as the leading partner Robert Phillips often exhibited at international exhibitions under his own name and was inspired by a vast range of historic styles. He was the only English jeweller to be awarded a gold medal at the 1867 Paris Universal Exhibition, where he displayed work of ‘Greek, Roman, Scandinavian, Byzantine and Renaissance styles’. He also contributed to this exhibition a beautiful polychrome enamelled necklace of Indian inspiration (bearing the same ‘RP’ maker’s mark), which was purchased by the South Kensington Museum - now the Victoria and Albert Museum, and remains in their collections today.
Bury, S., Jewellery, the International Era, 1789-1910, Vol II, Antique Collectors Club, 1991, p 465.