The Amherst Family Medals

Date of Auction: 18th June 2020

Sold for £360

Estimate: £240 - £280

Baltic 1854-55 (Honble. Frederick Amherst H.M.S. Royal George.) contemporary engraved naming, fitted with Hunt & Roskell silver ribbon buckle, contact pitting overall and attempted scratching to remove naming £240-£280


Provenance: Collection of the late Major Sir Torquhil Matheson.

The Honourable Frederick Arthur Amherst was born at Montreal, Sevenoaks, Kent, on 6 December 1838, second son of the 2nd Earl Amherst. He joined the Royal Navy as a Naval Cadet in August 1851, and was appointed to the Rattler the following month and to the Rodney 9 days later. After further service aboard Bellerophon (1851-53), Waterloo (March-August 1853), and London, now a Midshipman (August 1853-March 1854), he joined the Royal George in May 1854 in the Baltic and served in her throughout the Baltic campaign of 1854-55. He left the Royal George in June 1855 and appears to have resigned from the Navy shortly afterwards.

In May 1858, Frederick Amherst was appointed Cornet, without purchase, in the 14th Light Dragoons, and joined the regiment in India but seemingly too late to qualify for the Indian Mutiny medal. The regiment returned to the United Kingdom in June 1860, and Amherst purchased a Lieutenancy on 13 October 1862. He was gazetted Captain, by purchase, on 30 December 1864, and, on 7 June 1865, he was presented by Lord Sydney to the Prince of Wales at the Levée held at St James’s Palace. He was appointed Baggage Master to the Cavalry Brigade of the 1st Division during the manoeuvres held at Aldershot during the summers of 1874 and 1875, and later in the latter year, the regiment received orders to prepare for embarkation for India. Probably not wanting to return to India, Amherst retired from the service, by the sale of his commission, on 17 December 1875. He was commissioned a Lieutenant in the West Kent Yeomanry on 26 February 1875, and resigned that appointment on 16 February 1881. He died unmarried at the family home, Montreal, Sevenoaks, on 15 March 1895.

Sold with additional research.