Medals from the Collection of the Soldiers of Oxfordshire Museum

Date of Auction: 14th April 2021

Sold for £2,400

Estimate: £400 - £600

A Great War ‘Western Front’ M.M. group of eight awarded to Major W. G. Older, 2nd Battalion, Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry

Military Medal, G.V.R. (9639 Sjt. W. Older. 2/Oxf: & Bucks: L.I.); 1914 Star, with copy clasp (9639 Pte. W. Older. Oxf: & Bucks: L.I.); British War and Victory Medals (9639 Sjt. W. Older. Oxf. & Bucks. L.I.); Defence and War Medals 1939-45; Army L.S. & G.C., G.V.R., 2nd issue with fixed suspension (5373215 W.O. Cl. II W. Older M.M. Oxf. & Bucks. L.I.); Army Meritorious Service Medal, G.VI.R., 3rd issue (5373215 W.O. Cl. 2. W. Older. M.M. Oxf & Bucks. L.I.) contact marks, otherwise nearly very fine, the last nearly extremely fine (8) £400-£600


M.M. London Gazette 17 June 1919. According to his obituary this was awarded for action in the operations on 23 October 1918, at Capelle Village, on the river Escaillon.

M.S.M. awarded under terms of Army Order 98 of 1953, without annuity.

Walter George Older served in France with the 2nd Battalion from 13 August 1914, and was wounded later that year at Ypres, and evacuated to England. On leaving hospital he was posted to the 3rd Battalion and promoted Sergeant. Rejoining the 2nd Battalion in August 1917, he became Signalling Sergeant and was awarded the Military Medal for action in the operations on 23rd October, 1918. He embarked for India in 1922 and on 16 July was promoted to Warrant rank as Company Sergeant-Major of “D” Company, an appointment he held until transferred to the 1st Battalion in the same capacity with Headquarters Wing. In 1930 he went to the Bucks Battalion as acting Regimental Sergeant-Major, where he served with great success until discharged to pension in November 1936. The outbreak of war in 1939 found him once again wearing the bugle horn as Regimental Sergeant-Major of the 5th Battalion. In July 1940 he was commissioned as Lieutenant and Quartermaster of the 4th Battalion. He afterwards served at the Depot, the ITC, and the end of the war saw him at Cowley Barracks. When he retired in 1947 he was a Major commanding a training company. He was afterwards employed as a civilian administrative officer at Regimental Headquarters, Cowley Barracks, until his final retirement at the end of 1957. His total service covered 46 years. Leaving Oxford he took over a sub-post office and business at Freemantle, Southampton, and was so employed when he died, after a sudden and short illness, on 17 July 1962, aged 67 years. Sold with OBLI cap badge mounted with pin, Bucks Battalion cap badge, Bucks Battalion silver and enamel sweetheart brooch, and copied obituary from The Gorget.