Medals from the Collection of David Lloyd

Date of Auction: 17th February 2021

Sold for £4,600

Estimate: £1,200 - £1,600

A Great War M.C. group of nine awarded to Major (Quartermaster) L. E. K. Eastman, Rifle Brigade

Military Cross, G.V.R., reverse contemporarily engraved ‘Capt. L. Eastmead. Rifle Brigade 1st. Jan. 1918’; Queen’s Sudan 1896-98 (9321 Srgt. L. Eastmead, 2/R. Bde:); Queen’s South Africa 1899-1902, 1 clasp, Defence of Ladysmith (9321. C.Sgt. L. Eastmead. Rifle Brigade); 1914 Star, with clasp (Hon: Lt: & Q.M. L. Eastmead. Rif: Brig.); British War and Victory Medals, with M.I.D. oak leaves (Q.M. & Capt. L. Eastmead.); Coronation 1911, unnamed as issued; Army L.S. & G.C., E.VII.R. (9321 Sjt. Mjr. L. Eastmead. Rifle Bde.); Khedive’s Sudan 1896-1908, 1 clasp, Khartoum (Sergt. L. Eastmead. 2nd. Battn. Rifle Brigade 1898) regimentally engraved naming, very fine and better (9) £1,200-£1,600

Footnote

M.C. London Gazette 1 January 1918.

Leonard Ernest King Eastman was born at Gillingham, Kent, on 26 January 1873, and attested for the Rifle Brigade in 1891. He served with the 2nd Battalion as a Sergeant during the Sudan Campaign in 1898, and, having been promoted Colour Sergeant, served with the 2nd Battalion during the Boer War in South Africa, where he was present in the operations in Natal in 1899, including the action at Lombard’s Kop, and also at the Defence of Ladysmith, including the sortie on 10 December 1899 and the action of 6 January 1900.

Eastmead was appointed Quartermaster with the honorary rank of Lieutenant on 28 May 1910, and served with the 3rd Battalion during the Great War on the Western Front from 10 September 1914, serving with the Battalion continuously until the Armistice. For his services during the Great War he was three times Mentioned in Despatches (London Gazettes 22 June 1915, 15 June 1916, and 22 May 1917), and was awarded the Military Cross.

Promoted Major on 1 April 1920, whilst serving at the Depot, he retired on 26 January 1925, after 37 years with the Brigade and died in Winchester on 8 July 1943.

Sold with copied research.